Orthodontics Dentistry Prevention is a science for detecting dental abnormalities (Including crooked, crowded teeth, jaw problems or a set of them) and a therapeutic intervention to guide the teeth as soon as they come out. With early simple orthodontic treatment we can prevent severe orthodontic treatments in the future.
Prevention orthodontics is performed at the age of 6 or 7, at the beginning of permanent teeth development in children, and will prevent many dental and maxillofacial disorders in adulthood. Orthodontists can prevent future costly and aggressive treatments by identifying and tracking tooth problems in children when the child is not yet sufficiently developed. For this reason, it is recommended that a checkup Orthodontics be performed before the age of 7 for all children.
Symptoms of orthodontic problems in children
Some of the symptoms of orthodontic problems in children include
- Difficulty in speaking
- Difficulty chewing or biting food
- Early or late fall of primary teeth
- Sucking on fingers or on other objects
- Breathing through the mouth
- Continuous and unwanted biting of the cheeks from the inside of mouth (Cheek Biting)
- The change in front teeth order
- Toothache or asymmetry in the face
- Inattentive, compact, or spaced
- Teeth not clenching when placed on top of each other
- jaw is not in correct symmetry
Orthodontic methods of prevention (Interceptive Orthodontics)
Different methods of preventive orthodontics are used to correct the above problems and prevent costly and aggressive treatments in the future. These methods are:
- Guided Eruption: This treatment can prevent or minimize crowding at the same time as the eruption of the front teeth, which usually starts at age 6. This method naturally creates an even alignment by creating extra space for the teeth to grow.
- Early extraction of teeth: If the milk tooth fails to grow at the right time, then in some cases the orthodontist might recognize that the tooth must be stretched so that the permanent tooth has sufficient space for proper growth.
- Use aids to change harmful habits (Habit Breaker Appliance): Sucking thumb in children can cause the front of the jaw or tip of the upper teeth to grow. To prevent this from happening, special tools can be used at an early age to eradicate the tendency of the child to avoid the need for orthodontics in the future.
- Fixed Functional Device: This device minimizes interference during growth by holding the jaw forward and is generally adhered to the upper and lower mill teeth by special adhesive.
- Expander: By adjusting this device, which is often attached to the upper teeth arch, the maxillary arch can be widened, thereby greatly undermining the maxillary incisor and protruding front of the mandible and preventing the crowding of the teeth.
- Space Maintainer: It is one of the most effective tools in preventive orthodontics used in the event of premature loss of primary teeth due to illness, accident or other causes to save space for future permanent teeth growth.
- Orthodontics Headgears: This preventive device is used to correct how the upper and lower grinding teeth adapt to each other and can also provide extra space for permanent teeth. These monitors are usually used at night and during sleep. However, such devices are less popular among dentists and patients.
It should be noted that in many cases despite the use of orthodontic prophylaxis, the child will need a brace (Brace) or another form of orthodontic treatment in the future where a combination of two-stage orthodontics (Two-Phase Orthodontics) is well known, but the use of orthodontic prophylaxis can substantially reduce time and cost required for complementary orthodontics (second stage).
Other benefits of preventive orthodontic treatment for children include:
- Prevent Trauma Risk, Damage or fracture of protruding teeth
- Raising a child’s self-esteem after orthodontic treatment as a result of improved face status
- Making enough space for permanent teeth eruption
- Guiding and controlling the supply of upper and lower dental arches
- Eliminate Speech malfunction